Guerilla Opera is a Boston-based experimental opera company and 501(c)3 non-profit organization, whose mission is to foster a new repertoire of chamber operas written specifically for them, and to perform in intimate settings without the use of a conductor or formal music director.
Since Guerilla Opera’s inaugural season in 2007 the company has garnered a national reputation for excellence in performance and bold programming.
By the end of the 2015-2016 season Guerilla Opera’s achievements will include:
- 14 world premiere operas;
- 15 new productions;
- ArtsImpulse Theatre Award for Best Opera (2015); and
- Best Opera Company by The Improper Bostonian magazine (2012).
Guerilla Opera has continuously focused it’s attention on extending our reach to communities outside of Boston through:
- Free live-streamed performances since 2013;
- Performances at Hubbard Hall Opera Theater in Cambridge, NY (2012);
- Performances at The OPERA America Convention (2011); and
- Performances at The Rudi E. Scheidt School: University of Memphis (2011).
In addition to performances, Guerilla Opera has been invited to sit on discussion panels and speak at the following venues and events:
- Classical Singer Convention – Boston, MA (2016);
- Longy School of Music at Bard College – Cambridge, MA (2015);
- The National Opera Association Annual Convention – Memphis, TN (2012);
- “Opera Night at the BPL” by Boston Lyric Opera – Boston, MA (2012); and
- “Small Talk” by Small Theatre Alliance of Boston – Boston, MA (2010).
Guerilla Opera is proud to be an Ensemble-in-Residence at the Boston Conservatory at Berklee where they perform in The Zack Box. They are also members and affiliates of: